Today’s consumers’ buying journey isn’t like it used to be. They have everything at their fingertips.
- Google a problem to find a solution.
- peruse Pinterest to find the right gift or the latest style.
- ask their Facebook friends for suggestions.
So where do you come in with your product or service?
First, put yourself in your target market’s shoes. See everything from their perspective.
Second, study this graphic:
There are 3 basic types of consumers and each with their own buying journey
- The Impulse Buyer – this person sees what she wants and goes for it without doing research, or reading reviews. She can afford to buy and may have done some research before hand, but once she decides on something, not much can stop her from buying. She’ll see trust and credibility right away.
- The Explorer – this person needs to research and read everything. He’ll watch videos, read reviews and read blog posts. He has to be confident that he found the right product or service before he spends his money. He needs some convincing, but he’s not ready to make first contact. He’s not ready to trust. When he is, he’ll buy.
- The Engager – this person will ask questions. She may have done some exploring on her own, but now she has a question that your website hasn’t been able to answer. She’ll contact you via your contact form on your website, Facebook Messenger, LinkedIn or even Twitter. Whichever network they are comfortable with. She’ll be confident in buying after she communicates with a real person.
Here are some questions you need to ask yourself:
- Do you make it easy for the Impulse Buyer to buy on your website?
- Is there enough content to convince the Explorer to trust your product or service?
- Is it easy for the Engager to contact you from several different places online and will they get a quick response? (We’re talking hours here, not days!)
A SCORE mentor can help you in answering these questions for free! Click here to schedule an appointment.
About the Author:
Giselle Aguiar, founder of AZ Social Media Wiz is a social media, inbound and content marketing specialist & trainer helping business owners learn how to leverage the power of social media marketing, increase traffic to their websites, generate leads, increase brand awareness and establish themselves as experts in their fields. She’s the official social media, newsletter and blog manager for Greater Phoenix SCORE and teaches once a month at SCORE. She recently launched the Social Savvy Solution offering online, on-demand, easy-to-understand courses. You can connect with Giselle online at LinkedIn or on Google+. Get a free ebook!
No Comments »