By George Obst, Certified SCORE Mentor
In every industry there are individual companies that grow their sales each year no matter the economic conditions. We are talking about organic sales, not increased prices. In other words these companies sell more of their products and services each year. The question is, “how do they do it?”
Creating a market driven organization requires a culture that actively targets market growth. The key components follow:
- Achieve product and/or service quality with every sale, every day, every month, and every year. In other words strive for consistency of product or service.
- Create product and service leadership that differentiates you from competitors. Strive to make your company unique, in both product and service. Develop a list of ways you could distinguish your product/service from the others. Implement the necessary changes in your organization to deliver the differences you identify.
- Connect with customers to create customer intimacy. To achieve customer intimacy the customers are at the top of the organization chart. They are followed by the front line sales and service staff, and all other staff who have direct customer contact.
In this setting management is the catalyst that provides this customer intimate environment, and achieves it by taking the following actions:
- Consciously decides to improve what is already in place by focusing on manufacturing and/or service effectiveness. These companies strive to deliver a product or service at a lower cost, in record time, and with no errors. The result is operational excellence.
- Ensures that all staff who deal with customers have adequate training both in their area of expertise as well as customer listening skills.
- Listens to feedback from those who deal with customers and determines where to initiate changes to better serve customers.
- Values highly those who interact with customers and recognizes/rewards incidents of exceptional customer service.
- Avoids all polices and rules that stop those in contact with customers from being able to solve their problems. In other words, empower those in contact with customers to be able to solve problems on the spot.
Creating this climate of customer and operational excellence will ensure that your company will grow and take market share from your competitors.
SCORE, a resource partner of the US Small Business Administration has certified mentors who can help you achieve market leadership. Call today, (602 745-7250) or click here to make your no fee appointment with a SCORE mentor. There is never a charge and you can be assured of the very best counsel and advice.
About the Author