A company’s vision and mission are broad and far reaching statements about business objectives and what you want the business to look like in the future. They can seem overwhelming and difficult to achieve. Think about answering the question, “how do you eat an elephant?”. The answer is “one bite at a time.”
Developing, prioritizing, and writing specific goals are key to successful business startups, continuous improvement and success of existing businesses. The idea is to capture the stepping stones essential to business achievement. Goals create the road map, the bite size pieces that make the vision and mission a reality.
The best goals:
- Address the most important and urgent issues first.
- Contribute to using time wisely.
- Provide a management tool to measure employee performance.
- Help us overcome distractions and procrastination.
- Increase productivity.
- Provide motivation and positive feedback as the goals are achieved.
- Are key to maintaining enthusiasm and continued progress.
Measure your goal setting IQ by answering these questions:
- Does your business have a written operational plan?
- Do individual business owners and employees have individual goals for the year?
- Does the business owner meet regularly with the team and individual employees to review goal progress and re-set goals, if necessary?
- Are business goals set by all the key people, not just the owner?
- Are goal successes celebrated and rewarded?
It is clear that business success is greatly enhanced by creating a culture of developing and writing specific, measurable goals.
A SCORE mentor can help you with your goal setting. Click here to schedule a free mentoring session in a Phoenix Valley location near you!
About the Author:
George Obst is a Certified SCORE mentor with more than 30 years experience profitably managing and growing businesses, including start-ups, purchasing, financing and selling businesses.