What is a Platform? Shakespeare wrote,
“All the World’s a Stage”
Very simply, a platform is the thing you have to stand on to get heard. It’s your stage. But unlike a stage in the theater, today’s platform is not built of wood or concrete or perched on a grassy hill. Today’s platform built of people. Contacts. Connections. followers.
Your platform is the means by which you connect with your existing and potential fans.
You think you’ve got a great product or service, and that it will sell itself. Nope. Here’s why:
- Competition has never been greater. (Related article: What’s Your Competition Doing Online?)
- People are more distracted than ever. (Related article: Social Media Competition)
Why should YOU build and nurture your platform? Michael Hyatt offers 4 main points:
- No one knows your product better than you do.
- Nobody is more passionate about your product than you are.
- No one has more skin in the game than you do.
- Nobody is likely to do it if you don’t.
So, does that mean that you have to do everything yourself? Well, not exactly. However, you need to educate yourself before you hire an “expert” or “specialist” to make sure that the expert does everything correctly. What you don’t know can hurt you! (Related: Outsource or Hire: What Makes a Good Social Media Manager)
You probably find social media marketing overwhelming. Nevertheless, it’s today’s media and most of it is free! And it can be very powerful when you know how to leverage it properly and effectively. (Related: 10 Steps to a Successful Social Media Marketing Strategy)
The secret is you need to plan everything out.
- Set Goals.
- Put a Strategic Plan together on how you’re going to accomplish those goals.
- Put a Tactical Plan together on how you’re going to implement the strategy. It’ll either be a to-do list and calendar for the solopreneur or a game plan for a staff or team.
A SCORE mentor can also be of great assistance in every stage of your business and they don’t cost anything! You can search for a mentor with experience in your particular industry or just general business experience.
About the Author:
Giselle Aguiar, founder of AZ Social Media Wiz is a social media, inbound and content marketing specialist & trainer helping small business owners learn how to leverage the power of social media marketing, increase traffic to their websites, generate leads, increase brand awareness and establish themselves as experts in their fields. She’s the official social media, newsletter and blog manager for Greater Phoenix SCORE and teaches once a month at SCORE. She recently launched the Social Savvy Solution offering online, on-demand, easy-to-understand social media marketing tutorials. Helping the little guy get social savvy! You can connect with Giselle online at LinkedIn or on Google+.