Written By: The GoDaddy Team
Search engine optimization (SEO) is essential to the success of your business because it gives your website the best chance to be found by search engines, and most importantly, by potential customers.
Search engine professionals have studied SEO and come up with some tips to help you achieve better search engine rankings. Check out these top eight SEO best practices that will help you optimize your site to appeal to online users and search engines:
- Write for people, not robots. Keywords are SEO’s most commonly misunderstood practice. When SEO first gained popularity, keywords had a lot of pull with search engine ranking; however, when search engines noticed that users were “stuffing” or overusing keywords, the SEO requirements changed. Now, search engines reward you for writing naturally and focusing on your online visitors, rather than search engines.
- Create share-worthy content that’s useful, up-to-date, and appropriate. When you write website content, consider your visitors and what they’d like to know. You only have one chance to make a strong first impression, so make sure you say what you need to say to cultivate loyalty with your potential customers.
- Take advantage of social media and review resources. The more visibility your business has online, the more visits your website will generate! Free social media and local review sites are driven by word-of-mouth recommendations and user engagement, and can help improve your business’s credibility.
- Don’t try to work the system. Search engines are very smart. You might get away with some SEO shortcuts, but before long, you’ll be penalized and your website will have little to no organic online success. Yikes! Avoid your search engine’s naughty list, and do your research to see if what you’re doing will improve your site.
- Research valuable, relevant keywords. Before you incorporate keywords in your website’s content, it’s important that you know what your customers are looking for! Use online tools to determine popular keywords and phrases that people use to search online.
- Increase inbound links. Take advantage of your business relationships and suggest linking to one another’s site to help improve your SEO rankings. Just make sure you know and trust the person whose site you are linking to so people and search engines recognize him or her as a reputable source.
- Track your website’s performance. Why put the effort into making your site a success if you don’t track its results? To make sure your website is constantly improving, use a web analytics tool to track the number of visitors to your site, conversion rates, and marketing success!
- Recycle, don’t copy. Writing content for your website can be time-consuming and difficult, but it’s an extremely important factor for improving SEO. Search engines severely penalize websites that have pages with unoriginal, plagiarized, or duplicate copy. To avoid this, don’t use another website’s content or copy the same content onto multiple pages of your site. Your business is unique, so make sure the words that describe it are, too!
This article was provided by a Go Daddy Small Business Expert. To Learn more about the above topic or additional small business options, check out their Small Business Center.