That doesn’t mean going viral! Going viral is social amplification on steroids – and it’s usually a fluke. Like the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge – no way did the ALS folks plan for it to go viral. It just did.
However, getting social amplification takes a bit of strategic and tactical planning. Here’s how it works:
If you have 100 followers and one of them has 1000 followers, and that person shares one of your posts or tweets with their followers, you have a Reach of 1000 people. That means your post has the Potential to be seen by 1000 people!
The goal is to get your followers to share your posts and tweets with their friends. It’s not enough just to “like” a post. They have to share it! Though liking helps with popularity, sharing gives you that extra social amplification.
How do you get it? Ask for it.
- Add at the end of a tweet: please RT, pls RT, or pls retweet.
- On Twitter, thank people for retweeting: TY 4 the RT! or Thx 4 the mention!
- Same thing at the end of a post on Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn: Please share, Pls spread the word!
- Make advocates out of friends, happy customers and strategic partners
- Give to get – if you share and retweet other people’s posts, they’ll respond in kind
- Post good, quality content. You won’t get social amplification if you’re just posting stuff about you! Share other peoples’ relevant content
Only 1 out of 15 posts should be a direct sales pitch!
I’m one of the speakers at the upcoming…
Internet, Social Media Marketing & Much More!
Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
In keeping with the Spring Training theme, I’ll be telling attendees how to create “Your Social Media Marketing Game Plan for Success” – it’s free to attend and you get lunch, too! But you have to register!
About the Author:
Giselle Aguiar, founder of AZ Social Media Wiz is a social media, inbound and content marketing strategist & trainer helping business owners learn how to leverage the power of social media marketing, increase traffic to their websites, generate leads, increase brand awareness and establish themselves as experts in their fields. As with anything in business, using the right tools in the right way and at the right time are critical parts to your success. Learn from someone who’s known the Internet since it’s infancy. Official Social Media, Newsletter and Blog Manager for Greater Phoenix SCORE and Adjunct Faculty at Phoenix College. Social media training – 1-on-1 or for groups. http://azsocialmediawiz.com 602-738-1700. You can connect with Giselle online at LinkedIn or on Google+.