At the Greater Phoenix SCORE’s 2015 Small Business Symposium on March 31, 2015, Gelie Akhenbilt, of NetworkingPhoenix.com Phoenix’s Queen of Networking, reveals the secrets to meeting the right people at networking events.
What is networking?
Meeting new people aligned with your professional goals that will help you grow your business. It’s more than just exchanging business cards. Watch the video:
Gelie’s vision is to have a similar networking platform in every major city in the U.S. NetworkingPhoenix.com has over 30,000 members.
- It’s about connections. 80/20 – 80% of your time should be deepening connections with existing contacts – working the network you already have. 20% meeting new people.
- Follow-up is crucial
- Networking doesn’t end after the event
- It’s not about the free food. Eat dinner before the event. Let other people eat! While they eat, they’re a captive audience.
- Stay in touch, visible and memorable
- The magic number is 7 – in order for a product or brand to stick in your minds, you have to interact with it 7 times.
You want to engage with people 7 times in order for them to remember you.
You can network at Greater Phoenix SCORE events – even the classes! Check out the up-coming Phoenix area workshops here.